IMG_6873%20fix_edited.jpg
pit%20co%20courthouse%201%20fix_edited.jpg
67845058_1820815141_b.jpg
Pitkin_County_Courthouse_2010.jpg

Pitkin County Courthouse

Aspen, Colorado - Pitkin County

Historic Public Facility

Victorian Era Community Building Renovation

 

About

The Victorian era Pitkin County Courthouse is a large brick building built in the late 19th century and houses Pitkin County courts and other government agencies, such as the Aspen police department. Originally designed by William Quayle, it was completed and opened in 1891. The six foot statue of Lady Justice is one of the few in the United States that showing her without a blindfold. As a landmark in Aspen, Colorado it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.


The building is a two-story brick structure on a stone foundation, raise to expose the basement. It is set back from the street, fronted by a low iron fence, red cobblestone sidewalk, and landscaping. A large modern extension containing the jail is located to the rear.


Z-Group Architects analyzed the Pitkin County Courthouse for ADA code compliance. The design was completed to upgrade this public community building to meet new codes.

Awards

National Registry of Historic Places